Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Inception Day

Yes, it is out today. Get the Blu-Ray, even if you don't have a player. It is worth it. Amazon has it on sale for $17.99 today only I suppose. DVD version (do people still have those things?!?) is only $16.99. Check it.



A release of this magnitude reminds me of way back in the day I used to hang out at Wal-Mart on Tuesday nights at midnight to get the newest movies. Some weeks, like when extended Lord of the Rings were released, there would be mobs. Other times, I was the only one waiting around for a film like Big Fish (excellent, BTW). It wasn't so much the caliber of the movie that got me out at night, it was more often than not just the chance to be out late goofing off with friends at a place that would put up with us college losers. Sometimes I miss stuff like this. I don't do much crazy anymore, I just stay at home and stuff. Which is cool too. I think if I actually tried to do a midnight release again, it would just end up being lame, like the time I went for Starcraft 2, granted that *was* for a video game, and we know what kind of people hang out for midnight releases of video games. At times like those, I like to scan the crowd for the other dudes like me, husbands, maybe a dad with daytime a job who once in a great while will do something stupid like this (as if I would have actually played the game at midnight, seriously). We all have the same sheepish look on our faces, the one that says "I can't believe I am doing this, how lame. I should be home at bed or reading a bedtime story or reading the WSJ like a real adult would do. Instead I am here with a bunch of people who probably are a little *too* excited to be here, and they are all coveting the Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood poster I just won for knowing old movie quotes from classics that are probably too old for them." I know, that says a lot for one look on a face, but believe me, when you see it, you know it.

Well, I guess it is time to move on, to grow up and stuff. It's like high school reunions. Conveniently, I had a good excuse to not go to mine, but even if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't have gone anyway. I keep in touch with my friends still through other grown-up mediums like Facebook or Twitter.

I realize that that last paragraph has nothing to do with my previous paragraph.

Also, not to steal the thunder from Inception Day, but I was the only one at my office to remember to bring up the happenings at Pearl Harbor today, the 69th anniversary. Well, maybe not the only one, but no one mentioned it to me before I mentioned it to them today. Take a moment to reflect on what that means and ponder America's greatness and fallen heroes. I was surprised at how little fanfare was made over the historical significance of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment